Monday 12 October 2009

Software

This year instead of using the software I used in my AS production, iMovie HD, but instead I will be using a more advanced piece of editing software called 'Final Cut Express 4'. I have chosen to use this software because it has a more advanced editing tools collection and will allow me to add better effects.

Because I was not very advanced with the software, I decided to try a trail run at it and made a film for the English Department in my school, this required simple cutting, adding titles and adjusting sound levels, so I did not pick up too many editing skills. However after attending the Coop Film Festival, where I attended a Editing Master-class an picked up some more advanced skills including editing sound levels and adding voice overs. I am now much more advanced with the software.


Here is a page on Final Cut Express 4 showing exactly the technical features.


I have found that from working with the software and two small projects so far that they software is not that much harder to use than iMovie, despite the fact that at first it looks a lot more complicated. I have now learnt the basics of importing and cutting the frames. I am now able to create a film that does not have many complicated edits, but is a final project.

Below I will add comments on progress with the software as I learn new skills and techniques:

Wednesday 7th October: I have now learnt how to add text onto Final Cut Express 4, this is under the view screen, you can click on the drop down menu, select text, then choose the type of text you want. It is then a case of going on the edit tab and editing the text to the desired standard, and then dragging this into the time-line. 

Wednesday 14th October: Today I learnt how to quickly add transactions between two clips, and although it only adds on the default Cross-Dissolve it is a much easier and faster way to add on a transition. You simply right click in-between the clips and select add transaction. 

Friday 16th October: I have now learnt how to import the film from a tape, when first looking into Final Cut Express I found this part very difficult. This now means I do not have to use iMovie to import scenes that I have shot, and makes the editing process a lot faster. 

Wednesday 25th November: Today I came across a problem wile trying to upload from a DV tape, but by searching online the error message, I found that I could stop Final Cut Express noticing the problem during upload by going onto system preferences.  

No comments:

Post a Comment