Monday 12 October 2009

Hardware

To record my footage I will be using equipment that I have borrowed from the Media Department in school, this means that the equipment I will be using is not to the best of quality and will not be available to me as easily as if I was using my own, but by using the equipment in the correct way and efficiently I will be able to overcome this problem.

The Camera 
In order to record my footage I will need a camera, the camera that the school has to provided to me is a  'Cannon Widescreen MV 920'. This camera is only very basic so there are not a lot of effects I can get out of the camera. The main two settings I will be using on the camera will be the White Balance to create a clear shot, and the focus to focus on a particular item during filming. 

Technical Aspects: 
Camcorder Type: Digital
Recording Format: Mini DV
Recording System: PAL
Sensor Quantity: 1
Optical Zoom: 25x
Weight: 0.38 kg


It is a very user friendly camera, and was perfect for what we needed. As well as having auto features, you can also edit the white balance, exposure and other features yourself, but we did not tend to do this too much because we did not want to loose quality in the image we where recording. The camera has zoom features which was perfect for our close-up shots. However the lighting setting on this camera is not great, there are pre-sets which determine the lighting through settings (e.g. Night, Day, Snow) so if you want a particular lighting then you would need to yse your own lighting e.g. lamps or torches. We had to make some scenes look darker but instead of doing this on the camera we edited it through Final Cut Express.

All of your footage is recorded onto a mini DV tape, and transferring it onto your computer is very easy. We simply needed a fire-wire cable which would run from the camera to the computer and using a piece of software you upload the footage. However you can also play clips through the camera as well.
 

Becoming an Expert
This will now be the second year I have used the camera, and over my time of using it, mainly through trial and error, I have really got to know the camera a lot better, and I am now able to use the camera to the best of it's ability. I have learnt how to make the image the best quality using the white balance, and using this technique it helps me to make sure diffrently liught rooms look quite similar.

 I have also learnt how to take the focus off from automatic, and play around with it to suit the shooting of my film. This will help me a lot to show emotion on faces as I will be able to focus on the face. 

The Boom Mic! 

Last year my film lost a lot of marks because the sound quality of the work was not great quality, even though on most of the footage the camera mic was turned right down. It seems that the mic on the camera I am using is a very bad quality, and for this reason the Media Department in my school invested in a Boom Mic. This means now I can focus the mic over the main source of sound, and get a much higher quality. 

Keep It Still!


We needed to use this tripod in order to keep some of our shots still, and not have a hand held look. If we just held the camera by hand then the production would not look professional unless we could evaluate a proper reason for the camera work.
 

The tripod is very easy to use, the legs extend out in order to have the camera for a low angle or a high angle shot. The camera stand also extends higher in order to get extreme high angle shots. The tripod also allows the camera to pan, pivot and tilt without having to move the tripod itself. We found this very useful on our panning shots.


Imagine...
Main to take pictures for our Blog, and for our posters, we will be using a 'Fuji film Finepix A900'.

The features of this are:
  • 9.0 megapixels
  • Real Photo Technology (RPT)
  • Intelligent Flash
  • IrSimple™
  • Large 2.5" LCD screen
  • Sensitivity up to ISO 800
  • 10Mb internal memory
  • Selectable scene positions
  • USB cable
Its again, straightforward to use, simply plug in the wire that comes with the camera and import the pictures to a program on the Apple Mac or even simpler, open up the camera directory on the Mac and drag the pictures onto the Desktop Screen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment